Wednesday 9 March 2011

Statistics

I'm 6' 3" tall, and just a while ago, I tipped the scales (or broke them) at 345 lbs.  I used http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/ to calculate a BMI of 43.1   Ouch!  The link says that "normal" is a BMI from 18.5 to 24.9

Do they not adjust for male/female?  What about big boned, husky men?

Another site http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/lose_wt/bmi_dis.htm provides some interpretation of my current risk level.  I learn that I am currently in Obesity Class III.   Whether my waist measurement is above 40" or less than 40", I have "Extremely High Risk" of Diabetes Type II, hypertension (high blood pressure), and CVD (cardio vascular disease ie. heart attack or stroke).

So far, so good.  No wonder I feel a need to change for the better.

When I measure my waist as I'm seated (ie. no cheating as my gut naturally sticks out no matter what I do), my waist, when measured over my belly button and hipster "love handles" is 57.5".

If I measure while standing up, sucking in my gut (as I have learned to do for at least 8 hrs a day when I'm around others) is just 51.75".  Not bad eh?  A savings of 5.75"

Unfortunately, the BMI doesn't seem to care.

I bought a new scale that weighs me, as well as taking my total fat (46.7%) and total water (37.1%).  I'm not sure if that is good or bad.

Using the % Fat, that means that I'm carrying 161 lbs of fat.

Using the ideal BMI at maximum of "normal", I should weigh no more than 199 lbs. for a BMI of 24.9  This means that I need to lose 146 lbs.  Since the scale estimates that I have 161 lbs available to lose, this all seems to make sense. 

For the minimum BMI without being underweight, I should weight 148 lbs.  Ouch again.  To me, that seems way too low.  I'd be skin and bones.  When I left University in 1977, I weighed 200 lbs. and I was in excellent shape, running 5 miles every day.  Ahh, those were the days.

Back to the calcs.  For minimum BMI, that would mean that I would have to lose 197 lbs, even though I only have 161 lbs of fat, so I'd have to lose water too.  Again, doesn't seem too reasonable.

I think my target should be 200 lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment